"I believe that spiritual maturity is not the ability to see the extraordinary, but the ability to see the ordinary through God's eyes. Consequently, no matter how wonderful our experience or encounter is with God, the test of it's worth is in the fruit it bears in our lives and the lives of others. "
- Frank Viola

Friday, July 24, 2009

our version of "the other guys"

Hot diggity. I can post.

Continuing the discussion about prejudice...

We've each got our prejudices, to be sure, but is it possible that because of our age and location and (hopefully) our propensity toward peace, race isn't one of 'em? Maybe that's why we had a difficult time making it through the last chapter and coming up with examples of how we can help to heal the gaping race wound. We don't seem to have issues of racial disparity slapping us in the face in these parts. Native Americans face the most discrimination in our state, but again, there aren't many of the Native population anymore in the white bread Flathead Valley, or if so, I am not aware of Christ-following Natives worshipping separately. Doing cursory google and phonebook searches, I can't find any churches that list themselves as being particularly Native or Polynesian or Hispanic or what have you, whereas that is common some places. For sure it was in Anchorage.

What if, as a group, our prejudices are instead toward those in the mainstream christian subculture? I have to admit that, on a personal level, mine often are. I tend to assume that people who wear massive amounts of "christian paraphenalia" (as if that's even a logical phrase, because can things be christian?) or listen to christian radio all the live long day, or agree with everything a pastor says aren't really thinking. And, that might be true. But does that make my prejudice justified? Does that make the people involved any less valuable? Nay!

Leaving group last Sunday evening, Jason and I talked about how interesting it was that we were lamenting the intense segregation of churches by their denomination when we ourselves are pretty much creating yet another split. We know that the house church / small group concept is much more biblically and historically accurate than clustering up according to specific theological stances to meet in buildings and to pay staff to do the important stuff.And yet.

How can we maintain ties with a larger family / network of believers, even if we don't agree with their chosen format, and do it with honesty, keeping it real? Or is it necessary to maintain such ties? I was going to suggest that we skip ahead to the chapter about falling under the church's authority, but I see now that it is the next chapter. I haven't read ahead, but I'm guessing that may be an important next point of focus for this group.

3 comments:

  1. Noah Webster defines prejudice as: A prejudgement; an opinion or decision of mind, formed without due examination of the facts or arguments which are necessary to a just or impartial determination. It is used in a good or bad sense. Innumerable are the prejudices of education; we are accustomed to believe what we are taught, and to receive opinions from others without examining the grounds by which they can be supported. A man has strong prejudices in favour of his country or his party, or the church in which he has been educated; and often our prejudices are unreasonable.
    I don't think that prejudice or pre-judgement is the problem. I think that the real issue is much deeper. Jesus said "judge not",not before and not after. But, this seems to be a dogma that we are totally unwilling or unable to embrace. The thing I find interesting is the fact that judgement is usually thought of in a negative context but we make judgements in a positive context all of the time. And technically, even this goes against the teaching of Christ. Because, ALL of our judgments are polluted with prejudice, we have been taught what is "good" and what is "bad". But, who are we to make that determination? Does knowledge or religion give us some special commission to ignore the words of Christ. I guess I say all that to say this; whether our judgments are positive or negative whether they are prejudices or after thoughts whether they are founded in knowledge or ignorance it is not our place to judge anything. Because, eventually our judgements come back to haunt us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lori - welcome to the blog! Lol… well I have to say that I am very much in agreement with everything you said, I have sensed a rather large amount of bitterness from our group, to some of which I deserve credit -

    I agree with our discussion about how denominations have certainly broke Christ’s believers unity in many, many ways…. But I guess the problem I have is certainly in line with where you left off, in that I have a difficult time having relationships with people in mainstream church almost in general anymore…. And I’m not 100% sure as to why, I definitely know the things I can’t stand about the church. I know that traditional church has ingrained in all of us a few horrible personality types: the inability to admit we’re wrong, having the arrogance of thinking your way is the only way, and the biggest one for me is that we were never taught how to have relationships with those who disagree with us or whom we disagree with. I remember having friends in school who were Catholic and hearing my parents reiterate what my youth leaders had told them, “They don’t believe in the same Bible, Jesus, or Faith….” well knowing what I know now that certainly isn’t the truth. I wonder, does the problem lie within our inability to have large enough perspectives to enjoy the broader spectrum of all God’s people?

    I can tell you that the frustrations a lot of us have with the church are good and necessary to work out. Most of the issues we have are dealing with the practices and methodology our family’s churches have embraced which again, we should have problems with these things. I’m reminded of Gandhi, “ I love your Christ, its your Christians I don’t like, they act nothing like your Christ.”

    I think that there is a line that must be drawn. I believe we are to “judge” what is right and wrong and weigh those things against Jesus. There has been much talk concerning our group becoming a bunch of heretics….simply because we believe differently. With that I believe its important for us to take a stand and say, “Wait a minute, I love the same Jesus, because I serve Him in a different capacity doesn’t mean that we’re no longer brothers.”

    But on the other hand, we must be cautious in becoming bitter. Its important for us not to get too wrapped up in the “issues” and pay special attention to the relationships. Its sad that the only way my wife and I have seemed to be able to maintain those relationships is through Sunday services, which we only attend once a month. And when you’re being written off as a heretic its very hard to get close with those people. It feels very similar to the Disciples and the Pharisees. So what are ways that we can ditch the bitterness and grow solid relationships outside of Sunday services?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, okay. So prejudice or pre-judgement is considered bad because a person isn't aware of the facts before they make up their mind. I agree that making judgements is not bad; we make 1,000s of decisions every day based on our judgements, from the type of food we eat to what we prioritize doing with our time. If we were absolutely opinion free, we'd be dead. In this context, I think it becomes a problem when we de-value or write off others because of their different take on issues of faith. That often qualifies as a pre-judgement because we can't possibly know what drives a person to believe the things that they do OR TO MAINTAIN AND FIND MEANING IN CERTAIN CHURCH PRACTICES THAT WE MIGHT FIND TOTALLY IRRELEVANT.

    I agree that we have every right (and possibly the responsibility) to evaluate what we see in the mainstream church and either go with it or not. Thinking Christians have a place in the body.

    Unanimity and unity are two different things. I've heard it said quite often in church, "We know that such-and-such action is of the Lord because we all agree about it. It's a unanimous vote." Whenever I heard that, I don't assume the action is of God. Rather, I assume that there are some mighty persuasive talkers in the group, and everybody else has turned off their brains. We've GOT to be able to express differing opinions and perspectives and yet maintain UNITY.

    In response to Jese's final question there, I can't help but to think back to the hospitality chapter. We've got to get to know people, inviting them into our homes and lives. Emmanuel - God WITH us. That's how gaps are bridged, right?

    ReplyDelete