"I believe that spiritual maturity is not the ability to see the extraordinary, but the ability to see the ordinary through God's eyes. Consequently, no matter how wonderful our experience or encounter is with God, the test of it's worth is in the fruit it bears in our lives and the lives of others. "
- Frank Viola

Sunday, August 23, 2009

the Exodus of young people from the church

Okay, kids. Here's the blog post I referred to tonight by the friend of a friend, Jonathan Erdman. It is addressing this idea that many in the Christian fundamentalist world (like good old Ken Ham) have about why young people leave the church: that they simply aren't trained well enough in the Christian worldview / Christian apologetics.

Here are a couple quotes of Jonathan's, just so you'll go read the whole entry at the link I provide below.

"As one who has extensively studied Christian apologetics and a 'biblical worldview,' I would like to say a few words regarding modern fundamentalist Christian apologetic movements. It is a simple truth, but one that obviously still gets missed in some circles: you can't brainwash yourself into genuine faith."

AND

"Then I found that the whole idea of one biblical worldview is itself a very disrespectful way to approach the Bible. The Bible does not present itself to us as a worldview textbook. It is true, that it is possible chop the Bible up, pull out verses here and there, and assemble a grand systematic approach to the world. But as I engaged the text itself, in its original languages and in some of its original settings, I found that Scripture is a collection of highly diverse texts, with a wide range of genres (some that are even original to the Bible itself), written by many different persons over a long period of time. Gradually I realized how un-systematic the Bible was, and I was able to relax, which opened up the Bible to me in a way that renewed my faith and pushed me forward."

http://theosproject.blogspot.com/2009/08/exodus.html

2 comments:

  1. This guys blog is rad, I'm glad you hooked us up with it. I saw in the comments section that he's also interested in the New Monastic movement. That's pretty bizarre considering everyone I've ever talked to about it is completely clueless as to what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Well, I love his girlfriend's blog too: www.owlrainfeathers.blogspot.com. She is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete