"I believe that spiritual maturity is not the ability to see the extraordinary, but the ability to see the ordinary through God's eyes. Consequently, no matter how wonderful our experience or encounter is with God, the test of it's worth is in the fruit it bears in our lives and the lives of others. "
- Frank Viola

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Question

So who are the pennies of society? Those people nobody wants in their metaphorical pockets. Those people nobody wants to pick up when their laying on the ground. And I don’t mean lepers in India, but people who we can touch in our everyday lives.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not going to A the Q cause it seems prety ritorical 2me but it most definitaly makes me ponder on the ppl that I pass by in my everyday life and pay no attention to that could realy use some attention and careing. - Justin Krauss

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think our pennies are all different. As a society and church we often exploit the image of a homeless person or outcast. Honestly my pennies are overbearing women who wear too much jewelry... but probably have few they call friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, and as an extension of Camille's thought, I wonder if there's a whole slice of the older women demographic that's pretty cast out. Considering that in our society the highest ideal for a woman is youth and beauty, I know a lot of women that get pretty frantic when they start to gray and wrinkle. And because quite a bit of that generation stayed home with kids instead of doing the career thing they wouldn't have the prestige or assets for people to admire. If kids had moved across country, I would imagine women like this would have few ways to show/feel worth.

    But sheesh, these are probably the perfect people to show us young gals how to garden, how to handle the terrible twos, or just talk with.

    This comment is getting long, but I'll keep my eye out for the older and unappreciated women (who may have gotten overbearing and donned too much jewelry in their search for attention!).

    ReplyDelete