"I believe that spiritual maturity is not the ability to see the extraordinary, but the ability to see the ordinary through God's eyes. Consequently, no matter how wonderful our experience or encounter is with God, the test of it's worth is in the fruit it bears in our lives and the lives of others. "
- Frank Viola

Thursday, September 17, 2009

hell, y'all

This is a thought-provoking article on hell by a guy named Jason Boyett. It touches on some of our discussions about modern day interpretations of various books in the Bible. Lots of folks assume that the way today's Christians understand things is the way people always have. Not so, good people. Not so.

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god/church/features/18239-one-hell-of-a-question

Here's a teaser from the article:

"I heard a lot about hell growing up, particularly about how awful the eternal burning would be. I spent too much of my childhood fearful that somehow my salvation wouldn't take and I'd end up there. The horrors of hell are seared into my psyche.

So I was pretty annoyed to discover the biblical case for the hell of my imagination to be less than airtight. Along with this annoyance came some serious questions."

3 comments:

  1. Heaven, Hell, are they literal places; are the metaphors; are they what the current culture claims them to be? There are so many Questions in regard to the after life that I suppose one can spend a lifetime trying to answer them all and still be no closer to ascertaining the truth than when he first began. The important thing is not the afterlife which we can never be sure of; but the life we live today which is unsure enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a good article - I already knew about a few of the points he highlighted, but much of it was new. I am right there with the author of the article - I can't say that I know one way or the other what hell is like. Some good stuff I've read on the subject if from N.T. Wright. He suggests that if heaven and earth are going to eventually join together at Christ's return, then those who ultimately say they don't want to worship God and be His image bearer or let their lives be transformed by Christ's work, are "colluding with their own progressive dehumanization" - which was a scary enough concept for New Testament writers to use vivid terrible language to describe it. So what exactly is dehumanization? Well, no one knows, but basically ceasing to really be human (as the point of being human is to reflect God's image) and becoming something else.

    This is all kind of vague postulating, but it was something that got me thinking of possible alternatives to the current standard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If u want an acurate description of hell call ur local RE-MAX agent, I saw there sign poster in front of it the other day. Heavens already sold, the U.S. Goverenment repo'd it when they didn't pay the proporty tax's, So ya cant get in to Heaven but u can still buy ur self a little bit of hell if ya got the enough doe. Always glad to throw in my uninteligent 2 bits - Justin Krauss

    ReplyDelete